The City of Syracuse was selected by Bloomberg Philanthropies to receive an Innovation team grant. The Innovation Team (i-team), launched in May 2015, is housed within the Mayor’s Office of Accountability, Performance, and Innovation. The team is charged with providing ongoing innovation capacity to major challenges in the city and taking on new challenges once impact is achieved. The i-team has developed programs to address problems with infrastructure, opportunity, and housing.
Reporting to the Director of Innovation, the Analytics Coordinator will provide varied support such as research, data analysis, and document development throughout each initiative; from facilitating idea generation through implementation, planning and delivery. The Analytics Coordinator will be expected to develop good relationships with key personnel while providing and communicating in a confidential capacity regarding program performance, in addition to, providing candid assessments to the Director of Innovation, Chief Data Officer, and the Mayor and his advisers.
Interested applicants should e-mail an up-to-date resume, cover letter to Adria Finch at email@example.com no later than 5pm EST on Friday, April 27th. Questions may also be directed to this address. The City of Syracuse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
- Achieving defined targets by monitoring performance and course correcting when needed.
- Collecting, organizing, analyzing and presenting data relevant to i-team initiatives and related activities that support the technical aspects of innovation deployment within City Hall.
- Managing and maintaining strong relationships with numerous city government officials and other stakeholders.
- Consulting with internal and external experts to continually accept new challenges, generate innovative solutions, and assess their feasibility.
- Providing and communicating in a confidential capacity regarding program performance, in addition to providing candid assessments, to the Director and Chief Data Officer, and, where appropriate, the Mayor’s senior advisers.
- Representing the i-team and the Mayor’s Office at meetings with city department leadership and line employees as directed.
- May be required to exercise independent judgment in the performance of certain duties.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Characteristics of successful candidates for this position include demonstrated:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Proficiency with software programs like R and Python that aid in statistical analysis and graphical presentation of data
- Ability to learn and use geographical information systems to analyze data
- Ability to clean, analyze, and interpret data from disparate data sets
- Ability to manage projects that involve multiple stakeholders, constituencies, and/or agencies
- Experience in conducting process improvement analyses and recommending changes that save time and money
- Ability to thoughtfully communicate with team leaders and relevant stakeholders
- Design, engineering, or technical abilities which may not typically be associated with government
Specialized skills or experience in the following are preferred, though not required:
- Conducting of impact oriented research in the social sciences with implementation focus and quantitative aspects, including research, analytics, and document development
- Facilitation of idea generation through implementation of studies, and gathering quantitative and qualitative data from individuals and groups
- Experience with empirical data and statistics, to developing data-based recommendations for systems change
- Preparation of visual presentations by designing art and copy or digital layouts to effectively engage all necessary stakeholders to support success and obtain results
- Graphic designing skills, layout skills, creative services flexibility and desktop publishing tools experience
- Attentiveness to details, deadline-oriented, acute vision, and the ability to handle criticism in a constructive way
- Development or designing of software solutions
City of Syracuse residency will be required.
The City of Syracuse offers a competitive salary and fringe benefit package.
The City of Syracuse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.